Sunday, April 2, 2017

Six Degrees of Separation - From Room to The Book Thief

So this is my first participation in the Six Degrees of Separation game and I not sure I have understood it completely, but here goes.  I am using my Muse & View Bookclub list to link books to Room. We have not read Room but I have.

So the first link is obvious, we just read The Wonder by the same author Emma Donoghue.  As you will see from the summary of our meeting, not everyone like it.

The next link is by title to Year of Wonders By Geraldine Brooks.  A story that can be considered historical fiction with strong women as characters.

The next link via historical fiction and strong women is The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.  This book is also about the struggle of a minority to be free and be considered full members of society.

So there are other books we have read about the struggle of minorities, the one that stands out the most I think is The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

The next link is maybe a bit of a stretch, but in Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, we witness the struggle of the jewish minority in Europe during World War II.

We have read several novels that take place during World War II and I think the best link to Sarah's Key is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

So there is my contribution.  Would love some feedback!

3 comments:

  1. Snap! My first link was to The Wonder as well - funnily enough, Year of Wonders didn't even cross my mind as the next link, even though it's a book I loved.

    Thanks for joining in - hope you had fun (and yes, you got the hang of how to play!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great choices there. If they are all from your book club list, then you guys have read lots of excellent books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! What a long running bookclub. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments, however, because of increasing spam, all comments will be reviewed before publishing.